About the District
The Truckee-Donner Recreation and Park District (TDRPD) is a Nevada County special district in the Sierra Nevada mountains of California. TDRPD has been providing recreation and park services for all members of our community since 1963. The District maintains and operates a variety of facilities and parks within its boundaries, enriching the quality of life for those who live and vacation in the Truckee/North Tahoe area. TDRPD enjoys a program participation rate of 75% among Truckee’s 17,000 and growing residents. TDRPD has a history of working with citizen groups to generate volunteers and funding for new facilities.
TDRPD’s mission is to inspire creative, active lives for a healthy mountain community. TDRPD reaches this mission daily by providing numerous active and passive recreation opportunities which includes both indoors and outdoors with groups and individuals. The goals of TDRPD align with the mission and can be found in the 2020-2025 Strategic Plan Objectives.
The District employs 45 full-time employees and up to 175 part-time employees in the peak season. TDRPD is one of the bigger employers in the area, providing full-time professional jobs, introductory first-time employment as well as stimulating part-time work for many different ages in the area.
The District’s facilities include the Community Recreation Center, the Community Swimming Pool, the Community Art Center, the Veterans Building, the Park Corporation Yard, Ponderosa Golf Course, the public Boat launch on Donner Lake, 37 public piers on Donner lake, West End Beach on Donner Lake, and 6 Parks through out Truckee for a total of over 182 Acres.
About the Position
The Recreation Superintendent is hired by the General Manager, and is responsible for leading, organizing, planning and reviewing the work of staff performing providing all programs and activities of the Recreation Department.
The position of Recreation Superintendent is an at-will, FLSA exempt salaried position. It is a hands-on position with a high degree of staff engagement and therefore not appropriate for remote work of any kind. The current vacancy is due to a promotion of the incumbent Recreation Superintendent to the District’s General Manager. The Recreation Superintendent is a member of the District’s leadership staff team, providing highly complex and responsible support to the General Manager. The Recreation Superintendent is supported by a talented team of nine (9) full-time Recreation professionals who deliver the District’s adult, aquatics, arts, athletic, marketing, seniors, and youth programs as well as operate its various facilities – namely the Community Recreation Center, Community Arts Center, Truckee Community Pool, West End Beach, Riverview Sports Park and more.
The ability to develop and nurture professional relationships with staff and patrons alike is important to the success in this position. A commitment to developing staff and growing our program reach is essential.
Essential Job Functions
- Plans, manages, and oversees the daily functions, operations, and activities of the Recreation Department.
- Manages and participates in the development and implementation of goals, objectives, policies, and priorities for the department; recommends within departmental policy, appropriate service and staffing levels; recommends and administers policies and procedures.
- Develops and standardizes procedures and methods to improve the efficiency and effectiveness of assigned programs; continuously monitors and evaluates service delivery methods and procedures; assesses and monitors workload, administrative and support systems, and internal reporting relationships; identifies opportunities for improvement and recommends to the General Manager.
- Manages and coordinates the work plan for the assigned department; meets with staff to identify and resolve problems; assigns work activities, projects, and programs; monitors workflow; reviews and evaluates work products, methods, and procedures.
- Provides highly complex staff assistance to the General Manager; develops and reviews staff reports related to recreational activities and services; assists with reports presented to the Board of Directors and other commissions, committees, and boards; performs public relations and outreach.
- Recommends and implements goals, objectives, and practices for providing effective and efficient services.
- Manages and participates in the development and administration of the department budget; oversees the budget for the department.
- Selects, trains, motivates, and evaluates assigned personnel; provides or coordinates staff training; works with employees to correct deficiencies; implements discipline and termination procedures.
The Ideal Candidate
The ideal candidate for the Recreation Superintendent position is a service and solution-oriented leader with considerable experience in aquatics, athletics, arts, youth & senior programs, and skilled in managerial aspects of finance, long-term planning, communication, team building and organizational change.
Experience at successfully implementing policies and procedures to maximize cost recovery for recreation services is essential. This and a demonstrated ability to create programs that are responsive to a growing and diverse community is extremely important.
As a key member of the District’s leadership team, the Recreation Superintendent needs to possess refined leadership qualities of honesty & integrity, a willingness to listen, decisiveness, persistence and organization skills. Forever a role-model, the position also requires demonstrating empathy, respect for others, gratitude, responsiveness, and fairness constantly.
1. Equivalent to graduation an accredited four-year college of university with major coursework in facilities management, park and recreation management, business or public administration, or a related field.
2. Five (5) years of increasingly responsible experience in parks and facilities maintenance or public works.
3. Three (3) years of supervisory, management, and/or administrative experience.
4. Possession of, or ability to obtain, an appropriate valid driver’s license.
TDRPD offers a competitive salary and benefits package. The salary for this position is dependent upon experience and qualifications of the selected candidate. The current salary range for the Recreation Superintendent is $91,499.20 - $122,616.00. TDRPD is currently engaged in a salary survey that could increase the starting salary for this opening.
- Ten days paid vacation each year; fifteen days after two years of service; seventeen days after seven years of service; and twenty days of vacation after ten years of service.
- Twelve paid holidays a year.
- Sick leave accrued at one day per month.
- Five days of administrative leave per year.
- Induction into employee Money Purchase Plan (8% Gross earning placed into retirement by District, 6 year vesting period)
- Choice of joining health, dental, and vision plans for employees and their dependents. Employee’s premium will be covered 100% and dependents at 85%.
- $2,000 towards Health Savings Account (HSA) per year for employee only or $4,000 towards Health Savings Account (HSA) per year for employee + 1.
- Social Security paid by District and employee.
- Life Insurance policy ($100,000) paid by District and options to add supplemental.
- District Deferred Compensation Plan available, employee funded.
- Educational Tuition Reimbursement
- Employee Assistant Program
- Vehicle provided for work related use and commuting to and from work.
To be considered for this opportunity, please submit the following by 5:00 PM (Pacific Time) on Thursday, January 19th, 2023 to David Faris, email@example.com.
- Cover letter
- Resume (including education, dates of employment, organization size, number of staff managed, and amount of budget)
- 3 Professional References
References will not be contacted without prior notification to candidates who are chosen for the selection process.
Resumes will be screened in relation to the criteria outlined in this brochure. A secondary round of written interview questions will be sent to applicants that meet the minimum qualifications. Candidates deemed to have the most relevant qualifications will be invited to interview with the General Manager and staff.